The 31st of January and 1st of February 2012 I will present a 2-day seminar about the Oracle query optimizer in Ballerup (DK). The event is organized by Miracle A/S. The content, which is based on the chapters 2, 4, 5, 6, 9 and 10 of my book, is the following:
- Chapter 1 describes the life cycle of SQL statements and when the database engine can share cursors.
- Chapter 2 describes the aim and architecture of the query optimizer.
- Chapter 3 and 4 discuss the statistics used by the query optimizer to carry out its work.
- Chapter 5 describes the initialization parameters influencing the behavior of the query optimizer and how to set them.
- Chapter 6 outlines different methods of obtaining execution plans, as well as how to read them and recognize inefficient ones.
- Chapter 7 describes how to take advantage of available access structures in order to access data stored in a single table efficiently.
- Chapter 8 goes beyond accessing a single table, by describing how to join data from several tables together.
The flyer and this page provide detailed information about the seminar.